Did you know that one of the riskiest times for your oral health care occurs while as a teen? As you are growing and thriving in your life, the teenage years are extremely important for your oral health as this the end of tooth eruptions in your mouth and the time at which your permanent teeth are set in place. Once your wisdom teeth grow in, you will not be getting any more teeth. Thus, it is important to make sure you’re protecting yourself from all risks that may arise, including the following:
– Drugs are known enticements for teens and pose as highly dangerous peer pressure vices that can severely handicap an individual’s oral health.
– Do not wear mouth jewelry such as lip and tongue rings, as they can greatly increase your risk for several oral health ailments including inflammation, lacerated gums, chipped or cracked teeth, choking hazards, and infectious diseases.
– Sports are a known risk factor for numerous oral accidents and injuries and frequently lead to dental damage in teens. If you are involved in any contact sports or other similar activities, it is essential to wear the appropriate safety equipment, including mouth guards and face masks.
– Stay away from unhealthy products such as smoking or chewing tobacco as they can greatly influence a teen’s oral health and have immediate adverse effects such as bad breath, stained teeth, and smelly clothing. In addition, they can cause future oral ailments such as cancer and tooth loss.
– Exercise caution as the last of your wisdom teeth erupts, due to the fact they can potentially increase the risk for tooth decay, infections, and potential malocclusions.
Enhance your smile with teenage dentistry treatments. If you would like to visit with Dr. Mehrnaz Iranmehr and our team at Preston Family Dentistry for a comprehensive examination, please call 972-447-9707 to set up an appointment at our dentist office in Dallas, Texas.